The 2024 Oscar nominations were announced, and Christopher Nolan’s historical epic “Oppenheimer” leads the pack with a whopping 13 nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor for Cillian Murphy.
The other nominees for Best Picture offer a diverse range of genres and styles. Greta Gerwig’s whimsical live-action “Barbie” movie squares off against the unsettling psychological drama “Poor Things” from Joanna Hogg and Martin Scorsese’s crime thriller “Killers of the Flower Moon.”
Other notable nominations include Daniels’ mind-bending sci-fi adventure “Everything Everywhere All at Once” and the stop-motion animated marvel “Pinocchio” from Guillermo del Toro. The acting categories are also brimming with talent, with Michelle Williams, Florence Pugh, and Cate Blanchett vying for Best Actress and Brendan Gleeson, Colin Farrell, and Adam Driver in the running for Best Actor.
The 95th Academy Awards ceremony will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel on March 10, 2024, so mark your calendars!
Here are some additional details from the article that I found interesting:
- “Oppenheimer” is based on the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the “father of the atomic bomb.”
- “Barbie” stars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as the iconic Mattel dolls.
- “Poor Things” is an adaptation of Emma Donoghue’s novel of the same name, which tells the story of a woman who is kidnapped and subjected to experimental surgery.
- “Killers of the Flower Moon” is based on David Grann’s non-fiction book about the murders of Osage Nation members in Oklahoma in the 1920s.
- “Everything Everywhere All at Once” stars Michelle Yeoh as a Chinese-American laundromat owner who discovers that she can jump between parallel universes.
- “Pinocchio” is a dark and fantastical reimagining of the classic fairy tale.